Anthony M. Bettencourt is an associate attorney who focuses his practice in the areas of commercial cannabis activities, civil litigation, criminal defense, landlord-tenant disputes, and asset forfeiture. Mr. Bettencourt is admitted to practice before all California superior courts, various federal district courts (including the Southern, Central, and Eastern Districts of California), and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is an experienced litigator well versed in jury trial, law and motion, and appeal, and is recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as a Top 40 Under 40 attorney.
Prior to joining the Law Offices of Michael E. Cindrich, APC, Mr. Bettencourt served as a Deputy District Attorney in Glenn County. There, he prosecuted all cases involving DUI that were filed in the county. He also served as a plaintiff’s civil rights attorney, bringing actions under the Americans with Disabilities Act, California Unruh Civil Rights Act, and the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. In that capacity, Mr. Bettencourt’s efforts resulted in five cases that were published in federal reporters, including one Ninth Circuit appeal.
Mr. Bettencourt attended law school at the University of California, Davis, School of Law (King Hall). There, he was a member of the Moot Court board, participated in three national moot court competitions, served as a Staff Editor for the Business Law Journal, won two annual interschool negotiation competitions, and was awarded a McArthur Scholarship. Mr. Bettencourt interned for the Shasta County District Attorney’s Office and externed for Chief Judge Randal J. Newsom of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California. Mr. Bettencourt received his B.A. from the University of California, Santa Barbara, with a major in Communication and a minor in Sport’s Management, taught Business Law for Managers at the University California, San Diego | Extension.
Additional Practice Areas
- We are one of the top firms in California for cannabis-related representation. Learn More
- We have been successful in recovering hundreds of thousands of dollars and other items that were wrongfully seized by law enforcement. Learn More
- We're known throughout Southern California as an authority on DUI cases and is respected for his aggressive approach to defending his clients. Learn More
- Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium doloremque laudantium. Learn More
- A federal crime or federal offense is a crime that is either made illegal by U.S. federal law or a crime that occurs on U.S. federal property. Learn More
- The Law Offices of Michael E. Cindrich has extensive experience in handling drug cases of any type. Learn More